Troop 295's
Home Page
Outing Calender
Weather Policy
Boy Scout Tidbits

Boy Scout Troop 295
(Piqua, Ohio)
ScoutLander Contact Our Troop Member Login
Frequently Asked Questions

How can I as an adult help the troop?

All adults are welcome to contribute to our scouts experience. Adults can choose to become uniformed leaders, Committee Members and/or Merit Badge Counselors (MBC).

Commitee Members should attend a monthly meeting every third Monday of the month at 7pm held at the church.

MBC's choose a course(s) they are familiar with from over 120 offered Merit Badges. Once two or more scouts are interested in earning that particular badge, they will contact you, the counselor, and arrange to work on the requirements at specified times that work the best with YOUR schedule.

~All leaders/MBC's must complete a BSA Adult Application which requires you to provide your social security number for a background check. The Troop will NOT know any details from this check, it is performed by Miami Valley Council. All information remains confidential. Futhermore all adults must complete YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING online once application is approved.

What activities does this Troop do?

* Camps or has one day outings every month
*Hiked 20 miles in one day along bike path
*Backpacked 10 miles to Johnston Farms
*Went to Haunted Church/Castle
*Rock Climbing
*Fishing Derbies with Pack 295 cub scouts and families.
*Go Tobbogganning
*Klondike Derby
*Run stations at Glacier Games for local cub scouts
*Summer Camp
*Scouting For Food Bag distribution and food pick-up

These are just a few of the highlights, we encourage the boys to chose their own campouts and activities, while still remembering to give back to their community. Our scouts are very active and as adults we take pride in guiding them to become independent, well rounded individuals.
What is the required uniform?

We ask that each scout obtain a Khaki BSA Short/Long Sleeve Shirt (with appropriate patches/badges), a black neckerchief, a boy scout slide and a scout handbook, this is what OUR troop classifies as the Class A uniform.

We also have Troop T-shirts that may be worn under the Class A, or at other appropriate times, these shirts can be purchased through the troop and are referred to as a Class B uniform.

Where can I buy uniforms, Troop and patrol number/patches?

The Scout Shop is located at 6550 Poe Ave., just off of I-75 at Benchwood-Wyse exit. More information about the store including hours and directions can be found on their Web site at Miami Valley Scout Shop.


Miami Valley Scout Shop
6550 Poe Ave, P.O. Box 13057
Dayton, Ohio 45413
(937) 278-4825


Check Hours of Operation before you leave.

If you can't make it to the store, they will also take phone orders and ship via UPS. We also provide a order form in our welcome packet, one of our adults will take completed forms and purchase the needed items. Alternatively, you can order everything online from the BSA retail store at ScoutStuff.Org

What if we have to miss meetings?

If a scout MUST miss a meeting it is HIS responsiblilty to notify his SPL prior to the meeting. Each scout should make every effort to be at all meetings.

Does my scout need to go on every outing?

Once again each scout should make every effort to attend every outing. Our campouts and activities are planned by the boys, however what they do at meetings is only LEARN about different skills, going on outings the boys get to practice their new skills. Missing outings means no chance to put your skills to work and missing out on a great bonding experience with your fellow troop members.

What's a "Court of Honor"?

This is a special meeting we hold in any month that has 5 Thursdays in it. Instead of a regular meeting we use this extra week to present any awards or badges earned by the scouts. This is a chance for the families of the scout to see what they have accomplished and share in the scouts pride of earning any new rank. This is also when scouts give oral reports on outings we have had, who attended and what badges where possibly earned on the outing.

What camping gear is required?

The very first thing every scout needs before going on any outing is a completed medical form. Any outing lasting longer than 72 hours requires section B of the medical form to be completed by a physician prior to outing. Medical forms must be updated yearly.
A PDF containing the current medical form is attached below.

*Our troop provides "community equipment" items that are used by the whole patrol:

Cooking Utensils
Cook Stove with Propane Tank
Cleaning Supplies
Water Jugs
Dining Canopy

*Scouts provide "personal equipment" :

Sleeping Bag (adequate for weather)
Rain Gear
Ball Cap/ Sock Hat
Water Bottle with Strap
Flashlight with extra batteries and bulb
Toiletries ( toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
Insect Repellant (Non Aerosol)
Proper Clothing (Including Footwear)
Personal First Aid Kit (acceptable content list in handbook)
Matches (waterproof works best) or matchless fire starter
Duffel Bag

*Equipment that would be helpful but is NOT required:

Folding camp chair
Pocket knife ( if totin' chip has been earned)
Sleeping Pad
Hiking Sticks

We realize purchasing these items can get costly, we do not require scouts have all items at their first meeting. Get items that you can, when you can, if a scout does not have specific items for campout, get with an adult leader, the troop or adults may have the necessary equipment to loan to the scout.
Icon File Name Comment  
Medical Form.pdf